Friday, October 19, 2012

Nomzy Get Your Gun!


I think I have enough hand control left to fire a gun.  I need to move into a wheelchair accessible apartment so that I may come and go as I please, and obtain my right to a life and place within the human race.  This place also needs to be within the price ranges of my “salary”…the 650$ a month the government gives me in hopes that I’ll starve to death or kill myself and relieve America of one more handicapped parasite.  Just because I don’t work, does not mean I cannot work.  Here are the steps I figure I need to take to get there, since I can no longer climb stairs.

1.     Powermobility.  I’m in a manual wheelchair relying on others to push me and carry me in and out of Jesse's mother's house, that she has been so kind to let me stay in while we sort this mess out.  Unfortunately when I’m alone during, if there was a fire, I’d be a gonner simply because I cannot get in and out of this house.  I qualify for living assistance, but there is no sense in setting that up with insurance with home health aids for an out of state place that I am not going to be living in as soon as I get set up with the rest of the stuff.  I cannot maneuver around my bedroom on carpets, and it is difficult to access the bathroom and kitchen because of room separation floor lips.  If I had a powerchair I’d be able to get around and over those.
…o wait…I couldn’t even get a powerchair in this house….
…ok

1.     Get a ramp for power chair.
…o wait…a powerchair would not even fit in the bathroom.

1.     Get an accessible house for the powerchair.
…o wait…I only get 650$ a month on SSI. And I can’t work to afford a place because I don’t have a powerchair and a way of transporting around in it.

1.     Getting a van for the powerchair
…o wait…they revoked my drivers license because the doctors notified the DMV that my neurological condition had worsened after surgery; I can’t lift my legs when standing now, but the only way it affects my driving is that I can’t get into my low-height car.

1.     Get drivers license back.  Have to find the right doctor who understands that just because you have a neurological condition, does not mean you cannot operate a vehicle.  If I would completely incapable of operating machinery like that, I would not even be trying to obtain a power wheelchair.  I’ve had three doctors approve me for it, but since they were all neurologists and not physical therapists, the wheelchair company won’t accept it.  It’s the physical therapist’s fault I’m stuck in this manual mess…what they believe is “making me stronger”, is in fact injuring me and putting me in bed for extra unnecessary amounts everyday.
…o wait…I can’t get into my car anymore, so a license wouldn’t do me much good.  Plus if I’m in a chair I’d need a way of transporting it around.

1.     Get wheelchair accessible van.  Vocational Rehabilitation should pay for one of those, giving the purpose of it is to set me up with a life and job.  Oh wait, no, my OVR counselor already told me they were dropping my case and funding to go back to college because they did not think I would qualify for employment given my list of symptoms, not a clinical observation of how much I can deal with them and work around the pain and dizziness.
1.     Punch my OVR counselor
..o wait I have an arm weakness, I’ll have to have someone else to do that.  Hopefully OVR will fund that service for me.

The only way I’ll be able to have quality of life is by moving to the projects; the ghettos of North Philly.  The Philadelphia Housing Authority has a system where I can move into an accessible low income unit, and be charged 30% of my income from SSI (less that 200 a month).  This system is also for convicted felons who cannot find work; who I will be living amongst in the apartment complex.  I will be given living assistance paid through by insurance, and hopefully then can be setup with a power wheelchair, access to public transportation, and access into a community (NOT NORTH PHILLY) where I can explore, work, and function.  Hopefully showing OVR I can do all this will have them take back their assumptions, and convince them that they should be funding my schooling and personal transport.  When Jesse can find work we’ll be able to find something better.  But because he went the route of pursuing independent arts and film after high school, he does not have a college degree, and makes minimum wage delivering pizza.

So yes, gifted+intelligent+ straight edge+ clean record+ overachieving+invisionist+creative+artistically talented+disabled+elderly parents+broke musician boyfriend=
GHETTO.

I am a skinny young attractive white woman in a wheelchair.  I am getting a gun.

1 comment:

  1. I have much empathy and love for you and actually can empathize much with your situation. I'd say "you'll pull through", but I know how frustrating it is to hear that, so all I can say is that others do understand your pain, and I am one of them... The world discards us, yet we live on...
    So Nomie... live on. Please live on.

    ReplyDelete